- AT 3 a.m. Mr. Bob awakened me complaining of a sharp pain in his right lung.
- I called the nurse who came up immediately and decided that it was most probably a severe case of indigestion. Antacid and 7-up eased his discomfort.
- After sleeping propped up in bed for weeks, it had been the first time he had decided to sleep flat.
- The nurse suggested that he sleep in his recliner for the rest of the night.
- I sat up with him for a while before deciding to go back to bed.
- As I sleepily eased myself onto our unusually high mattress (what were we thinking when we bought it years ago?) the bed thudded to the floor.
- Back to the sofa I went, where I lay awake until dawn's early light.
- Our collective mood is not exactly sunny this morning.
"Don't tell your friends about your indigestion. "How are you" is a greeting, not a question. "