Sunday, July 3, 2011

THREE CHEERS

THREE CHEERS for the red, white and blue!



















                                                                                  
                                 ~ Virginia Foxx

              ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈







One of our residents here at the Manor, a 95 year young man, tells of being in the school band which was deemed the best in Iowa. The winning band from every state was sent to Chicago where all gathered on Soldier Field to play "The Star Spangled Banner". The conductor mounted the podium (this is the part that blows me away) and it was John Philip Sousa. The resulting sound, according to our friend, was awful. He's not overly impressed with the story, but I coax him into telling it to anyone who hasn't heard it.







5 comments:

  1. I wish you all (family, friends and residents at the Manor) a very happy 4th of July!!
    I'll think of you tomorrow, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally nice one! The storyteller was --?
    #409

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. Happy 4th of July!

    check this web site: honorflighttwincities.org

    Can't look at a flag without shedding a tear ever since I was a Guardian on a couple of these flights.

    Thanks to everyone at the Manor for their service.

    xoxo
    annE

    ReplyDelete
  4. About 20 years ago, I was teaching in Buffalo; I had a basement room for my special ed. class. I was doing a multiplication lesson, and I was teaching them how to count/multiply rows by columns. I counted: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 times 1-2-3-4-5-6. "No. That's not right." I did it about 4 times before I realized that I had a flag with 48 stars on it! I should have kept that flag!

    ReplyDelete