Wednesday, February 23, 2011

CURIOSITY


It was in January that I snapped this picture. The term "community style" piqued my interest. I wondered what it meant. Lacking someone to ask, I suppose the obvious thing to do would be to call one of the listed telephone numbers. Both Mr. Bob and I are challenged by accents over the telephone. How many times can you ask, "What?" or "Would you repeat that?" So I didn't call.

In looking through our photos, deciding what should be written about today, I came upon this picture and I had one of those lightbulb-above-the-head moments when I suddenly remembered that I have Google at my fingertips. So often that happens after I've been wondering about something for a long time. I think it must be a generational thing for those of us coming from the Encyclopedia Age.

If you are perplexed by the term "community style", I suggest you go here and be enlightened. That is, if your curiosity matches mine.
And I hope it does.

One time we were attending an Elderhostel program. Registration usually takes place in the late afternoon. Participants get settled in their lodging place, usually a hotel; dinner is enjoyed and after the meal that first evening, people introduce themselves, telling a little about what makes them tick. I'll never forget one man who when asked about his hobbies, gave a one-word answer.
"Curiosity", he said.

Footnote: Elderhostel recently changed its name to "Road Scholar". Clever, huh? I think they're appealing to a wider audience. Recently I called their headquarters to ask what the minimum age is to participate and was told that it's now 40. I highly recommend looking into what they offer. I'll save you the trouble of Googling it.
Try this.

6 comments:

  1. I still have my old skateboard if you'd like to borrow it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the links. In Europe,I stayed in many Hostels! Glad I joining the others in this blog in having lots of curiosity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm smiling at Chris' comment above.

    So now we know! Very interesting. You're getting good at doing links etc with this blog. I attended an Elderhostel at Colgate university one summer with my father-in-law. He was an alum, many years ago. It was wonderful--I could spend my life attending those, and be happy as a clam, if I didn't have to work. One day, maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chanting was... divine!

    (My experiences with acupuncture were not as successful, I am sad to say!)

    This was very insightful. Now is the time for out of the box thinkers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jane and Mr. Bob

    So enjoyed your "curiosity" today and your tag to acupuncture.

    I am finally catching up to your site - Love your new style and the "locators" you put in the articles.

    Thanks - John of Eugene

    ReplyDelete