Saturday, March 19, 2011

GETTING TO KNOW YOU

Now that we have so many new residents, there's sometimes a wait to be seated in the dining room. Millie was ahead of us in line and was asked to wait for 10 minutes or so. Quickly I introduced myself and suggested we sit down together for one of my 8 question interviews.

  1. WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
  2. WHERE WERE YOU RAISED?
  3. WHERE DID YOU LIVE PRIOR TO THE MANOR?
  4. EDUCATION?
  5. CAREER/VOCATION?
  6. FAMILY?
  7. COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
  8. HOBBIES?
When we were called to be seated 10 minutes later, we felt like old friends. The longer I work at this job, the better I like it. By and large, I think we're getting natural looking pictures of the new residents. It's a matter of teamwork and it's one of the places that Mr. Bob and I work well together.

In putting together the questions for the staff (numbering 100 or more), I decided that "Hobbies" might not be a good term for people from other countries who often as not are working two jobs to make ends meet. So here are the seven questions I'm using for the new directory.

  1. WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
  2. WHERE WERE YOU RAISED?
  3. FAMILY?
  4. WHEN DID YOU COME TO THE MANOR?
  5. WHAT'S THE THING YOU LIKE BEST ABOUT THE MANOR?
  6. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE TIME-OFF ACTIVITY?
  7. FAVORITE FOOD?
I've interviewed five of the staff so far. When Sal, from Mexico, said his favorite thing was "attending my people" I could have wept. We are well cared for here and that sincere quality exhibited by the staff was what impressed me when I first visited all those years ago.

We had dinner with Millie and because Nadine and Mickey were shown to our table, the conversation was easy and the laughter was frequent and I hope we made Millie feel just a bit more at home than when she came down for dinner. 


I have two more new residents to interview.......Dot, whose husband was a publisher. You may have read his maps. The other is Nancy, who brought with her a companion, a bird by the name of Dulcinea and as soon as Dulcie settles in, they'll be ready for their interview and their portrait sitting. 


1 comment:

  1. A great way to get to know the people.... Yes !
    That is why I do photography.
    A Non Y Mouse

    ReplyDelete