Sunday, March 6, 2011

SKETCHER'S BLOCK


A LONG, LONG TIME AGO, I dabbled in oil and came up with this small painting of a portion of my grandmother's crazy quilt. That patterned piece a little off center is a piece of my mother's wedding dress. We never thought anything of the rendition and it was hidden deep in a cupboard somewhere until the big move when Tim came upon it and claimed it. The other 2 larger paintings I did long ago found their way to the Goodwill Collection Center.....they were class assignments in high school and not worth keeping around.

painted on half of a postcard
If you are long time readers of the blog, I'm probably repeating something you've read, but we have a few new people and I'm short on subject matter today. As soon as I'm through writing this, Mr. Bob is ready for me to assist on listing numbers for the tax man. The more I write, the longer I can put off what I consider a mundane task.

I recall the feeling when I drew the shadow on the column.
It was an Aha! moment.
Drawn on a tiny scrap of paper
We took a Columbia River cruise and were sick the whole time. The best I could
do was to stay on board and draw what I could see out of the window.




In my journals, I always tried to disguise the vexatious moments. I don't remember the remark referred to in 
Item 3.

It was in October that we arranged to spend a couple of days in the Sequoia National Park and got caught in a heavy snowstorm. I, in my Birkenstocks, without a jacket!

I wonder where our urges go when they disappear?

"Very few people possess true artistic ability. It is therefore both unseemly and unproductive to irritate the situation by making an effort. If you have a burning, restless urge to write or paint, simply eat something sweet and the feeling will pass."
                                                                                                     Fran Lebowitz

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE looking at your art work Jane. You inspire me always. Thanks for sharing it. I never grow weary of looking at your little people, and your pen and ink work with watercolor added to it. :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never tire of looking at your watercolour journals.
    Thankyou Mr Taxman.
    Dorsettler

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, to be able to "see" the way you see to be able to put it on paper.

    I love it! (and you!)
    xoxo
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't get here from your email link. Snuck in through yesterday's blog.

    SO GLAD I DID. Love your watercolors!!!!!

    Impossible to get enough of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been a HUGE fan of your watercolors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are sooo good at painting !!!!!!!!!!

    A Non Y Mouse

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love all you do. It is so good, i would never notice a repeat. A second time gives you fresh perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane, you should drop everything and
    draw and paint! Your drawings and
    paintings are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan H writes, It really is too bad that the painting urge left you. Such incredible talent and creativity. I had never seen the sketch of our house, it is beautiful and I would very much like a copy of it. You have talent beyond words, with words and brush!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How'd I miss this post! I love seeing your artwork. Keep putting more up here--it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete