Sunday, October 9, 2011

PROGRESS REPORT

I SUPPOSE having dragged you along with me this far, medically, I need to let you know what's happening, insofar as I know, which isn't much. 


Mr. Bob came through his fifth three day session of chemo, with only one more month to go. After that, it's my understanding that there will be x-rays, an MRI or is it a CAT scan? You'd think I'd know the difference, but I don't. If the results show that the chemotherapy was successful in shrinking the tumor, then Mr. Bob will undergo radiation. He decided he needed oxygen yesterday after weeks without it, because when he bent to slide some photos under a resident's door, he saw spots before his eyes. This morning he opted to stay in bed rather than meeting our friends for our ritual weekly breakfast.


On Friday I had appointments at two different hospitals. The one in Pasadena has a more advanced Breast Center, so that's where I was directed for the MRI. My second visit there was for an ultra sound and possibly a needle core biopsy. There are times that a vivid imagination works against one and Friday's appointment was one of them. I was given a reprieve from the biopsy for now, but was told to schedule another MRI, in the midst of which, a biopsy will be taken. Now my creative mind is conjuring up an image of a mechanic lying on the ground, working on a car, for a breast MRI requires the patient to lie, face down on a table with the mammary glands tucked into holes in the table. (I never, ever in this world thought I'd be talking to you about such matters......I'm of the school that would prefer to confer with doctors by use of a Chinese medicine doll whereby the modest lady would point to the area of the malady.)




Or maybe the table is hoisted in the manner of an automobile at the mechanic's; either way sounds like something I'd rather not experience.


Next we sped across town to the other hospital.....the one up on a hill where I revisited the radiology department. The technician who had taken my chest x-ray earlier in the week happened into the waiting room (where I had reported the M&M / pill under the chair, which by the way was no longer there). He recognized me as a recent patient so I asked him how many clothes I had to remove for the x-ray of my lower back. His answer was, "Down to your skivvies." I ask you, when did you last hear that Navy term?


It turned out that a lady named Jennie did these x-rays. The table was high and the footstool to it measured about the same as my foot. I got myself onto it and then Jennie said, "Now turn around. Take your time." Next time I'm going to answer that with Carol Burnett's line and say, "OK, while I'm doing that you try to pull your lower lip up over your head." I hope that made you laugh.....it's the sort of mirth that makes Tim's presence so precious to me.


The male technician remembered that I'm documenting the experience and even thought to include me when we captured an image of Jenny. The possibility of that hadn't entered my mind. I'm trying to remember to think of these bumps in the road as good blogging opportunities. Eventually I do, but often it's when the Kodak moment has passed.





11 comments:

  1. So happy to be sharing in your journeys. Hugs to Uncle Bob.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DO love the Carol Burnett quote!!! My husband has a Chinese medicine doll that seems to be the twin sister to the one you posted. She must have lost her stand before WLT and I got together and now I know what to get him for a surprise the next time I'm out and about. Was the end quote regarding the cold X-Ray table of your own imaginative deduction???? It sounds sooo like you!!! T.O.Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting us know what's. Happening Jane. It is foremost in my mind, and I am sure I am notthe only one who feeels this way. If you need any hand-holding just let me know and I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree. It is all as it is told in detail as if we were behind you and you setting the road map. Jane, this keeps you front and center and the Carol Bernett funny makes the moment less awkward or strange. Not every one knows processes, so it is wonderful when someone lights he way. For me, having never had children, i was unaware of the pelvic ultrasound i was to have as life's change hit me. A friend told me what would happen as they need to check my "insides" They did check and i was ready for it. There is no doubt many of us prefer your Chinese medicine doll approach. Love how your son keeps you on the laughing, fun path...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You tell the news so well ! A Non Y Mouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. This writing and photographing is providing a little distraction you know. So that makes it a good thing. And you don't have to repeat the story for each one...another plus. So no Chinese dolls (I didn't know about them, anyway). Soldier on, my good neighbor. Know we'll march with you if you need us.

    #409

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there, Jane and Bob. You can do it!
    ~MJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are one of the most charming persons I love to read, reporting each step along the way in treating caner. Christopher Hitchens, one of the most annoying writers I love to read and diagnosed as beyond hope, is reported in the NY Times today as preferring to see himself as living with cancer, not dying from it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are in my prayers. Love, Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  10. God, that last quote seems so true, doesn't it! I'm glad to hear Bob chose to rest up if he felt like it. Good for him. I hope these next visits are quick and behind you very soon. You do a wonderful service to blog about these things, for the rest of us who may face similar things and will remember your grace through it all...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for you and Uncle Bob...
    Brent

    ReplyDelete