Thursday, October 27, 2011

QUINAHAWK, ALASKA





Our daughter, Susan, a resident of Alaska, has often gone out into small villages in that state to give workshops to families who are caring for a "differently-abled" child. I think she has even slept on the schoolroom floor on these trips. It's a different world! 


A friend sent me the following clip. I sent it to Susan, whose response I'm including. I love the community effort exhibited in this film. I hope you'll find it 4 minutes well spent.

Begin forwarded message:


From: Susan Humphrey <humphrey.susanjan@gmail.com>
Date: October 26, 2011 9:14:33 AM PDT
To: Jane Humphrey <jane@humphreynet.com>
Subject: Re: Joyful school computer project


Yes and it still makes me smile and cry all at the same time. Quinahawk is like many villages I have spent time in.


On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Jane Humphrey <jane@humphreynet.com> wrote:







Had you seen this?
Mom
Done like you've never seen before. This video from the small
Yupiq Eskimo Village of Quinhagak, Alaska , was a school
computer project intended for the other Yupiq villages
in the area. Much to the villagers' shock, over a half million
 people have viewed it.
For your turn to view, Click: HERE  Runs approximately 4 minutes

7 comments:

  1. Wow! That was so simple, but so incredibly moving. I can see why it's been viewed so many times. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring and sweet and homespun and grand and effervescent! Thank-you so very much for sharing!
    _Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if there is ANYTHING to act as a partial emotional antidote to Bob's going through chemo etc and you facing your surgery etc, it just may be that lovely Hallelujah Chorous.

    Thanks for that bright spot of joy.

    As ever,

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. DO NOT MISS THIS!!!!!!! A perfect holiday gift to pass on to your friends and family. Absolutely fabulous!

    Thank you, Quinhagak, each and all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So special! I'm going to facebook it!
    l,
    mj

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so agree. I just posted it to my facebook page! thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Jane: Hallaleujah ! Just wonderful ! Our Youth no matter where in this world. Give daughter, Susan a kiss for me and take a kiss and hug for yourself. I will be thinking strongly about you on October 31st. No trick. No treat. Love, Marlene

    ReplyDelete