Wednesday, January 26, 2011

¡HOLA!

We are lucky to live in Southern California where Mexican food is plentiful. In the past, when we traveled, that's what I missed most of all while we were gone. In our area, there are lots of restaurants that serve Mexican food......Joselito's, El Charro, Acapulco, Mijares, El Cholo to name only a few. Our favorite of all, El Sol, is owned by Manuel and his wife, Ana. We became acquainted with Manuel during the 20 years he waited tables at Joselito's. At least 10 years ago he and Ana bought their own restaurant  and have built it into one of the busiest eating places in town. Ana cooks, Manuel not only helps in the kitchen, but is one of the finest hosts we've chanced to know.  

He befriends all of his customers who are greeted with a warm handshake (years ago, I had to teach him how to shake without crushing the bones of older, fragile women. He learned well).




Once, as we left El Sol after a sumptuous meal, Manuel, who always sees us to the door and sometimes all the way out to the car, where he opened the door for me, saying, "See you tomorrow, Juanita". And I replied, "Oh, Manuel, I doubt it. I can't eat Mexican food ALL the time." And his retort was, "I do".       

Not every Tuesday, but once or twice a month we have Taco Tuesdays at the Manor. It's not quite the real thing, but it's very good, especially if I remember to take down our bottle of Tapatio hot sauce. Mr. Bob doesn't require it except for a silly picture.
Do you have a good Mexican restaurant in your neck of the woods?                             

8 comments:

  1. Looks good, but so much! I definitely couldn't eat all that every day!! They sound like a lovely couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm. These pics are making me hungry. There's nothing better than good, authentic Mexican food. We are fortunate to live in close proximity to El Cholo's restaurant. The original is in Los Angeles, but a second was opened in La Habra (near to Whittier) in the late 50"s (long before I became a California transplant.) One of the most difficult adjustments for our daughter, Anastasia, when she went to college in Colorado was the lack of good Mexican food. A visit to El Cholo's is a must whenever she is in town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taco John's, but don't see many Mexicans eating there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not as good as El Sol! Where is it? in Montrose?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's in Verdugo City (borders Montrose on the west), across from the mortuary in a mini-mall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy... there is not doubt many of us like Mexican food......Long ago ..long ago I went to the early Cancun. I asked for chips at the Mexican restaurant next to the Burger Queen :-) and was very surprised to get thick big tortillas...!My dishes were nothing like the American Mexican, but i still remember the black beans!!! yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like your friend Manuel, I could eat Mexican food every day..and sometimes do. Raised in LaCrescenta, my initial exposure to Mexican food was at El Charro and even though I have travelled extensively, that Americanized Mex is still dearest to my heart. When we moved to Thousand Oaks I was overjoyed to find a local "hang out" that has been here since the 40's and even more pleased that their cuisine is kissing cousin to El Charro...down to the sliced black olives on their tacos. It's like home cooking to me. T.O Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how I MISS Mexican food! Especially Joselito's!
    -Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete