Monday, December 27, 2010

THE DAY AFTER

'Twas the day after Christmas and Justin wanted to know where Michael Jackson was laid to rest so on the way to Tim's house we drove through Forest Lawn. I'd not thought of the place as being a tourist attraction, although I suppose that long ago it was considered such. Ryan was interested enough to jump out of the car to capture a picture of the rolling hills.


I never see a picture of David without remembering the story of the mother, seated in the front row at our local YMCA on the first night of a sex education session for junior high students, who  when the first slide was shown and it was of the statue of David, fainted dead away at the sight of .......well, you know. How embarrassing it must have been for the daughter.


Even in the days when our meanderings by car were more frequent than they are now, I loved going through Hollywood or Los Angeles and viewing the activity. My father was fond of country driving and I always prayed fervently that our Sunday drives would be through town, but no such luck.......we'd invariably go in the direction of Palmdale where my mother would wax enthusiastic about the moon playing peek-a-boo behind the mountains. Spare me.


Tim's home is warm and welcoming, especially at holiday time and it was a joy to see things that once belonged to us before the dismantling of our household........things I'd forgotten we had passed along to him. His poinsettias were robust, ("What's the secret, Tim?" "Buy them right before people are coming over.") the food delicious and he'd even made pomanders.







His electronics fascinated Ryan, but so did the ukelele.

Simple pleasures are sometimes the best, although all evidence is to the contrary. Even Owen knows how to operate the iPad and iPhone.

When it was time to return home, the heavens had opened up and the rain was pouring down, the kind of storm where the driver can't see the lines marking the traffic lanes. No complaints from Tim, though, as he and Tulip squired us back to the Manor.



'The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree:  the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other."  
                                                                   ~Burton Hillis

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Glad to hear you all had a good holiday. I love Tim's place--and Tulip looks fabulous! I can almost smell those clove-studded oranges. Makes me want to go make some for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! Fun to see that Tim had a home that could be another room of your old house!! I agree but those oranges...I can smell them already!

    ReplyDelete