- I once saw a small shop's sign that read "Open when open, Closed when closed". Makes sense.
- Once upon a time I changed our shop's opening time to accommodate an employee who was habitually late in opening up. It made no difference; she continued to be late.
- When some supermarkets decided to stay open 24 hours, I was thrilled. Certainly I don't take full advantage of it, but the idea that I could market in my slippers and robe had a certain appeal.
- Most little stores seem to open at 10 a.m.
- Mr. Bob looked askance at my habit of arriving to open the store on the dot. His way (and I'll admit, a far better one than mine) would have been to arrive a half hour before opening time.
- We had certain clients who made a habit of coming in at 5 minutes before closing time and then shopping slowly.
- At least twice in my retail career I left the store unlocked all night......once I arrived to find a woman browsing in a darkened shop, not yet wondering why service was so poor.
- In the early years, when the children were little, we used to close the store for the month of August, thereby proving to ourselves that customers helped to keep the merchandise dusted.
- All too many independent establishments are finding it necessary to close their places of business permanently. It's such a loss and a blow to individuality.